When designing an add-on for an existing system:
- Make a thorough list of what you wish to achieve.
- Make a thorough list of resources, such as memory size, physical size, of all relevant components.
- Gather relevant software libraries or equivalents, and make sure minimum size requirements are met.
- If size requirements are not met, see if you are able to work around the problem through working “closer to the metal”.
- When size requirements are met, begin design of schematics / preliminary physical model.
- Iterate 3-5.